There's so many things I've learnt in the last few years at university, things I now couldn't live without knowing alongside things I wish I'd known when I started. I've decided to share my top 5 tips for surviving university - who knows they may make your life that little bit easier...
1. Budget, budget, budget! I know, I sound like my parents but it's something that I really I wish I had in my first year... I definitely do now - most of the time - because there's nothing I hate more than having to penny pinch in the final few weeks of the term.
2. Attempt to make as many friends as you can... In lecture, in your flat, or even in societies. But accept that not everyone you meet will land up being particularly close to you. People have a very different way about them when alcohol is involved.... Also accept that friendship groups will change over the time you are there, with the firm friends emerging.
3. Remember that academics aren't everything, make sure you get the chance to go out and experience everything you can... (this ONLY applicable in the first year, I'm not condoning not doing work, make sure you pass, else there will be no more university experiences!) There's nights out, parties, society meetings, trips and so much more than just lectures.
4. Take a million and one photos. Trust me, you'll look back on some of the photos and wonder where and what the photos are of. But at least this gives you the chance to look back on all of the silly things you'll do. You'll want it. Especially when exams and deadlines hit and you're stuck wondering why you even applied to uni...
5. Understand that you will see things differently to other people, and that this will cause arguments no matter how laid back you are. You may well see the mess in the kitchen and think it's not bad, another flatmates will think its horrific. You may well think it's fine to leave dirty underwear on the bathroom floor, another flatmates will think this is the worse thing you could possibly do in life! Just stay calm and try and come up to a solution that works for everyone!
University is the maddest, funniest, most expensive, time to learn in your life. You will look back and wonder where the time went. Appreciate every moment, it'll be the little things that get you through surviving university.