All that you need:
- 1 loaf of bread
- 200g Grated Cheese
- 25g Butter
- 25g Flour
- 1 egg yolk
(This is where is starts to get special....)
- 2 tbsp of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 150ml Pale Ale
- 1 tsp of Wholegrain Mustard
- 2 tbsp double cream
(I'd grab some onions and caramalise them to go with the cheese!)
All that you need to do for the ultimate cheese on toast:
(- I'd recommend you weigh all the ingredients out before you start so that you don't land up stressed mid-cooking like I did...)
- Melt the butter in the pan on a medium heat.
- Beat in the flour to form a paste.
- Stir in the beer, bit by bit, keeping the mixture smooth. The rest of the bottle is all yours to drink whilst you cook!
- Simmer for a few minutes then add the mustard, egg yolk, Worcestershire sauce and double cream. Stir.
- Add cheese little by little so that the cheese melts completely.
- Place bread under the grill until one side is golden brown and crisp.
- Place chopped onions in a pan with a dash of oil on a low to medium heat. Allow to soften and go brown.
- Turn over the bread and spoon on the mixture, placing back under the grill.
- Grill for a few moments until the cheese mixture is bubbling.
What do you think? Is there anything you would add to the ultimate cheese of toast?
Disclaimer: I was not paid to write this post. I received the ingredients to cook the ultimate cheese on toast and add my own twist.